Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Introducing: William Christopher Ricks


Dan, Cooper, and I are blessed and honored to welcome William Christopher Ricks into our little family. He was born January 14, 2013 at 8:52pm weighing a healthy 6 pounds and 15 ounces. Our little toe head is a miracle in our lives, and we credit his safe arrival and delivery from all the many thoughts, prayers, fasting and support from so many friends and family. To all of you, Dan and I send our most heartfelt thanks and appreciation.


For those of you who aren’t aware, our little William was born with a heart defect called a “Common AV Valve.” This hole in his heart will require open heart surgery when William is between 4-6 months old. We found out about this complication at our routine level 2 Ultrasound when I was 20 weeks pregnant. We entered in that appointment eager to find out our baby’s gender, and left feeling like our hopes and dreams for our child had fallen apart. In addition to finding out the news about the baby’s heart, we soon learned that this type of defect was common in babies with Down Syndrome or Trisomy 21. We did further testing (amniocentesis) and received the results a week later that confirmed the genetic disorder.


So on Monday evening and at 39 weeks, little William was born. I fortunately was able to hold him for a few moments before they took him down to the NICU and he has been there ever since. He is progressing beautifully. They are still keeping a careful watch of his heart and on Friday will perform another echogram which will in large part determine when he can come home. He is eating well, breathing well, and hopefully by this weekend they will be able to take him off of his IV and oxygen. It is a miracle to see how far he has come this week and we thank our Heavenly Father as well as friends/family who have helped us every step of the way.


As many of you know, it has taken some time for Dan and I to wrap our heads around what we thought would never happen to us. But now after holding William this week I can honestly say that I would want it no other way. I know that this little boy was meant for our family and that I am supposed to be his mother. And I will now thank the Lord every day that I am blessed with this perfect child. I wish you all could meet him and feel of his pure and innocent spirit. He is an angel and I can’t believe the Lord has entrusted him into our family. I know I also speak for Dan that we are privileged to be his parents and hope that each one of you will come to know how special he is as well.


I will try to do better to update this blog with pictures, his progression, surgery and smiles. I know he will forever brighten all of our lives as we watch him grow.


Xoxo,

Lindsay, Dan and Cooper











32 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I loved everything about this post. He is SO CUTE!!! I hope he keeps progressing so well and gets to come home soon. We'll keep him in our prayers and pray that the surgery will go well. Good luck adjusting to two kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE LOVE YOU!!! Andrew commented, "Oh look at that sweet boy!" We can feel his sweetness through the blog and thank you for sharing. Prayers and BIG HUGS to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! Chris and I are just ooohing and aaahing over these pics- really we can't hardly wait to meet him. He is adorable! We love him already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys. What a cute little man! Are prayers are still with you over the next few months while you his heart and have surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this beautiful post, Lindsay. Can't wait to meet William and to see all of you again. Love and hugs . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy he is here! He is such a beautiful baby and I'm happy to hear he is doing well. Hopefully he gets to go home with you soon! Love ya girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Total perfection!!! My little angel captain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations you guys!!!!! Oh my goodness, I'm eating these pictures up, he is sooooooooooo cute!!! I wish we lived closer, I would bring you plates of goodies every day just so I could sneak a peek at his adorable self!

    Our prayers will be with you for his surgeries, and for your recovery in the midst of it all as well!!

    And congrats to coop for being the awesome bit brother! You are all amazing and perfect people for this perfect guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Congratulations on the birth of William Christopher. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations I know heavenly father picked the right family for William. With Cooper and Hunt around he will grow to be as mischievous and cute as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsey! I am so excited for you! He is beautiful, Down syndrome babies bring such a wonderful light into this world. You will love it, it does come with some challenges but they truly bring happiness to so many situations. I don't know if you knew but our family had a girl named amber with Down syndrome live with our family for 8 years, and she was such a blessing to have we didn't have her as a baby but loved her personality and happiness. He is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!!! I've been anxiously waiting news of his arrival. I can't think of more perfect parents for this sweet little boy. So glad he's here and we'll keep praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! So glad to hear that all went well the "The Captain's" delivery. :) What a beautiful baby boy. We love him so much already! I can't wait to get to know this amazing little soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love him so much. What a beautiful little boy. And what a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one good looking little kid! Congratulations to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Ricks family! What an amazing and emotion journey you have already been on with this little guy. He is darling. Our prayers go out to you and little William's heart. We'll be checking up to see how it all goes. In the mean time, we are so happy for you guys and for big brother Cooper. Big hugs! -the Stakers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to all of you! He is so handsome and I know will be a blessing in the lives of many. Your post and how you described the experience was so beautifully written and did not leave me dry eyed. Last night Audrey came and asked me if you had your baby yet, and I said "Yes! On Monday!", she was really mad a me that I guess I hadn't told her. She is also so thrilled and loved the pictures I showed her from my phone. We can't wait to meet him and hope he gets to come home soon. Love~The Atchleys

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a handsome boy! Congratulations for the new addition to the family.

    You are an incredibly important family to our Heavenly Father. He trusts you and is preparing all of you to do amazing things. I know little William couldn't have been blessed with a better home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He is so stinkin beautiful!!!! Congratulations to the lucky parents, and to lucky little William for being born into such an awesome family. We're so excited for all of you! -Amber & Brian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful post. We are cheering you guys on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome, congratulations!!!! I think we love William already, even though we havent met him yet. I know Alayna will too! We have been praying for you guys and William everynight. William is a really blessed little boy. Best to you, Dan, Cooper and William. The Browns

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for your post. We have been waiting for your news. You have proven you are special parents and entrusted with this little guy who will bring more joy into your family than you can imagine. We will be watching for blogs. Thanks for including us in the special event. Love to all of you. Presidente y Hna Call

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this tender moment. He is an absolute angel--one of God's true elect. And he couldn't be born into a more loving, supportive, beautiful family. You guys are a gift to each other.

    Love you guys! Will be sending lots of prayers your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations you two!

    Thank you for sharing your feelings and experience, so we can all be enriched.

    You will all be great blessings for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! He is just precious! Praying hard for little william that he will be home soon. My little Hudson stayed in NICU for 18 days, I know it is hard and frustrating but your little miracle is here and just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my word, you can really feel his spirit through the pictures! What a sweet, pure little boy. I am thrilled that everything went well with the birth and that is progressing well too. We have been praying for you and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing. Lov ya Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad he's here! He's in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We were in Reston last night and we were thinking about you guys!!!! You're new little man looks so sweet. I hope we'll get to meet him sometime soon. Congratulations!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful baby! I hope his upcoming surgery goes well and you can enjoy the little guy in your home. As Brynn mentioned, we had a down syndrome girl live with our family for a long time - as a group, they are truly special. So sweet, joyful, positive, and loving. Though certainly there will be challenges, he will be a blessing for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  30. congratulations lindsay!! he is so perfect and SO handsome! glad he is here safe and sound. cant wait for more pics!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just found your blog from Dan's facebook post. This post made me tear up. We'll pray for your cute family and hope darling William can come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Lindsay--William is so beautiful. And you are the perfect parents for him, I'm sure. There aren't many people that could handle his situation as gracefully as you guys. I hope to meet him someday!! I look forward to hearing about progress. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete