Thursday, February 7, 2013

Update on William

Seeing that William has been in the NICU for 3 ½ weeks, I thought it time to update friends and family on his condition. I was hoping and praying for this post to be a happy one about his plans to come home, but unfortunately that time has not arrived just yet. There are 3 main things that the doctors are monitoring quite closely and will continue to until little William comes home: his breathing in his lungs, his oxygen saturation levels and his feeding. Although I do not profess to be a medical expert, I will attempt to touch on each of these areas.

The Lungs:  Because of William’s rather large hole in his heart, there is an extra amount of blood flow to the lungs. This makes the lungs wet and heavy. His body/heart/lungs then have to work twice as hard to breathe and dry those babies out. The doctors and nurses compare it to running a marathon and being out of breath.  Whenever I hold him, his little head bobbles up and down and his chest moves in and out -and you can visually see his small body working hard to compensate for his heart defect. Obviously he can’t do it alone, and he is getting help from medicine (diuretics) to rid his lungs of that extra fluid. The medicine is helping, but we haven’t found the right dosage or combination of prescriptions. It’s a balancing act to find the right amount which dry out his lungs but don’t dehydrate him, or deplete/flood his blood levels of potassium or sodium. Even today they added to his dosage of diuretics, and I hope we soon find the right amount.

Oxygen: You will remember from my previous post that we were trying to get William off oxygen. The good news is that we have, the bad news is he still has a nasal cannula (breathing tube). He is breathing the same room air that you and I do, but he has an increase in air flow which pushes the air up his nose. We are trying to wean him off his cannula incrementally because he can’t go home on it. 

Feeding: Initially, William’s eating was awesome. He was able to take a bottle and also nurse from me. He has the coordination of sucking and swallowing which is HUGE, especially since he has Down Syndrome. Dan and I were encouraged initially with his abilities to gain weight and eat on his own. Unfortunately his eating volume began to scale back because (as noted above) his lungs/heart were working overtime and he was trying to run a marathon and eat at the same time. He got worn out after a few sucks, became disinterested in eating, fell asleep from exhaustion and therefore began to lose weight. Last week the nurses put a feeding tube up his nose to help him eat.  He has started to gain weight incrementally and we are so grateful for that. He’s 2-3 ounces heavier than his birth weight (6 lbs. 15 ounces) and ideally he needs to be 12-15lbs for his surgery. Today I found out that the doctors plan to surgically implant a feeding tube into his stomach. Poor little guy. As if he hasn’t been through enough! It will be temporary until he has his heart surgery, recovered and can eat strictly from the bottle. We have a long ways to go until then. The doctors feel that this tube is easier/less risky for me to use when he comes home. If I were to incorrectly place the tube, it could cause damage to little William and we’d be immediately sent to the ER for an X-ray and exam. Ugh, no thank you. But I wish the latter solution was easier to swallow (no pun intended…). It just kills me to see him go through an additional surgery–even as small as it may be. My heart just aches to see this sweet, innocent boy go through it.

So the question I know we’re all asking is: “so when does William get to come home?” I wish I knew. It seems every day the answer is different. In fact, within these 3 ½ weeks, twice we’ve been very close to bringing him home and then BAM, there’s been a hiccup or set-back. Looking back, I’m so grateful he didn’t come home because he wasn’t ready. It could be a few more weeks, or it could be a few more months. At this point we are living a day (or an hour) at a time and taking things as they come. He will come home when he is ready, and we are learning patience in the meantime. Besides Dan and I, no one has seen little William. Not even my mother (who was here for 3 weeks) or mother-in-law. Talk about patience! The hospital NICU rules have tightened due to the severity of the flu outbreak and only parents are allowed inside. I get the rules, and I understand the restrictions, but I just want to share little William with everyone because he is so darn cute. But until then we are focusing on his health and praying he continues to get the best care possible.

If you’ve made it to the end of this never-ending post, I thank you for caring. Thank you for your prayers and kind words. These last several weeks have been nothing less than a rollercoaster, but we have faith that smoother days and flatter plains are on the horizon. Hopefully next time I post, I can announce his homecoming!

Xoxo,
Lindsay

P.S. Enjoy the pictures. Isn’t he adorable? We’re completely smitten!








18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! We're praying for little William and hope he can be home with you soon! He's adorable. Love him! He has the best parents who care so much about him. We love you guys and are praying for little William to improve each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is adorable. :) And he looks so tuckered out in that one photo, bless him! hugs and positive thoughts sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cuti-pie and I am totally digging the monogrammed onesie on William! Continued thoughts and prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. We love your family. Thank you for sharing the news and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so beautiful! We pray for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We wish you guys the best. William is a great looking kid. Keep being strong and our prayers are with you. Let us know if you need anything. (Babysitting, food, etc.)

    Love,

    Chris & Rylie Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking the time to write this update on little William. We love him and you! Your positive attitude and strength amaze me. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about you and William. If there is anyone out there who is strong enough to handle the circumstance it is you. :) Please know that John and I are praying for you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you all! Love you captain! You're official in my reader!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much love from Michelle and me. It was great to spend some time with you, Dan and Cooper a few months ago! We will keep you and especially little William in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you are smitten--he is adorable!! Praying for William's body to grow stronger every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the update! Such a cute little boy with incredible parents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for keeping us informed. We are praying for you and sweet William. Hope he comes home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a trooper! Love that last photo. I'm always around if you need someone to watch Cooper! He is so easy to care for!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindsay and Dan - Your little William is so precious! Thanks for the update. We've been thinking of you and praying for his progress. How hard it must be for your mother and mother-in-law to not be able to hold him! Hopefully, you'll be able to share him with the world soon. In the meantime, our love and prayers are with you. xox Marilyn and Gary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the update, Lindsay. I hope he gets to come home soon, or at least that your parents can meet him soon! You are amazing. I hope the stomach tube isn't too hard on him--I'll be praying for him and you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, what a sweetheart. I can't imagine how tough this must be for you guys, and I'm happy that you have some clear-ish ideas of what progress to expect. I'll pray for his continued improvement, and your continued strength and comfort! xoxo Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  18. No me cabe duda que William es un ángel muy especial, y trajo muchas bendiciones para ustedes. Los amo a todos!! Gracias por compartir sus sentimientos!!

    ReplyDelete